Hi! Another Friday as August wanes and drifts away. I had planned a shopping trip post for us today, but my friend canceled, so disappointed. We did have excitement briefly last night as all the phones lit up with friends being sure I got the tornado warnings (no, not til hours later!). Much discussion back and forth about tornado prep and where is a safe spot. Tornadoes are very rare here but common where I grew up in the Midwest.
A blog I read, by a woman in the UK, was very scathing and judge-y about American storm prep, asif being organized is the same as being a mad MAGA apocalypse prepper, who is also possibly AI clickbait.[??????]. Little does she have any concept of how conditions can go bad very quickly here. And of course all the UK folks chimed in about ''crazy Americans''. I felt so bad--the times I have been in hurricanes are some of the darkest scariest memories I have. It was so hurtful to read. These fools couldn't understand that storm prep is a carefully thought out, wise move! Do they really want to be THAT PERSON who stands on their roof in a flood, waving frantically at the rescue helicopter? Not me, I'd rather make a list and prepare. above and below, last night, not here but not too far away/ pics from social media :
A waterspout that became a tornado as it came ashore.
The tornado missed The Beach here, but a reminder these dark clouds can cause destruction and even death. See that little protrusion on the left underside of the barrel cloud? That can become a tornado or water spout. This is looking out my windows.
I had medical appointments this week and kinda lost momentum on my deck quilting. Merry Christmas remains untouched. Noah's Ark binding is scheduled for the last weeks ahead of summer's end, as my hand slowly heals maybe.
Here is what I finished, bath, scrunch and all. Googly Eyed Jacks is done.
I love this border. It's actually Wild Geese blocks.
Eyes, including button pupils on Jacks--creating mischief and horroified stares, some faces. Sooo cute, right. The eyes are somewhat wonky; this is how the primitive style pumpkins were designed--and I love, though I do see a few threads etc to be clipped.
Spidey
PinkyBluey
Backing. Darling panel square, called Trick or Treat, which is the original name of this design by Cheri Payne [OOP or in her FB group files]
Wonderful Spiderweb quilting by Lori C.
I do hope it fits on my front door for Halloween.
***********************************
And Grey Baskets, aka February March, as the grey echoes my long grey lonely winters. If you're a new reader or forgot, these are reclaimed antique blocks gifted from a friend. On point setting to hold a bowl or candle etc.
Winter Pansies backing.
The ''marbles" are Victorian carpet balls, plus a couple repros. An indoor game like bocce.
**********************
I'm also working on the first K-pop rockstar girl outfit. Out of my comfort zone, I hope it pleases.
PS Blog friend Penny found HER childhood collection of marbles. Shown in a beautiful Spode dish. Anyone else find theirs? Send me a pic: lizzzz.d@gmail.com
Have a great week!
love
lizzy
gone to the beach...

The flowers love the rain.
ReplyDeleteScary weather! I live in the Midwest and know exactly how fast a thunderstorm can become dangerous, tornado or not, and we are not uber-preppers by any means, but we have flashlights and jugs of water and a few odds and ends to see us through at least the immediate trouble. (Hubby also has a boat, but I hope we never need to use it for flooding!) But don't let people on the Internet get you down. Until you've lived through a situation, you can't know what you would do, and these trolls either haven't or are just trying to anger you. Don't let them win! You know what works for you, even if it is the uber-prepping. Do what you need to do to feel safe. Keep quilting and sewing and enjoying life on the beach.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Katie, that is a very positive supportive point of view. I ll take it to heart. [I do have old photos of me in my dad's boat when the I think Ohio River once flooded. It can happen!] It was the stupidity and superiority of that blog that upset me. Def not an uber prepper--but like you, I have a few flashlights. 😊
DeleteWe have torrential rain/flash floods on occasion. Welsh lanes are often well below the level of the surrounding fields and so water-runoff from the fields turns the lanes into rivers, complete with quite large stones and lots of gravelly bits. Occasionally houses get struck by lightening, or trees fall on them. Tornadoes are rare, thank heavens. My bag by the door would have medications, change of clothes, cat food, a quilt, passport/paperwork and my Dissertation! Oh, and the box of oldest family photos which are irreplacable.
ReplyDeleteSadly, people whose houses burned down in recent weeks, didn't have the time to even take anything and two cats were killed in one fire as it was spreading so rapidly.
Cash! Be sure to bring cash/ have a stash on hand. I know you get floods,, but the fires seem new?
DeleteP.S. I got distracted from your quilts. You must be glad to have them back and proudly on display. I have "sort of" done the bodice on Rosie's dress - remind me NOT to use an iron-off pen for sewing markings on fabric in future! Now I am struggling with the blardy skirt!!! Thank heavens this is the practice dress is all I can say.
ReplyDeleteYou're such a competent sewer/ quilter. Wonder why this dress is such a challenge? Fabric?
DeleteAll I say is: if you haven't been in a hurricane or tornado--don't pretend to know what it's like -- Preparation is SO necessary--we were without any elec., water, or able to leave our home with roads blocked quite a few times for many days--very scarey--as I am sure you know!! [put that in your pipes and smoke it--UK's !!!!!] nuff said!!
ReplyDelete:((((
I love how your Googley-Eyed Jacks came out--I unearthed mine yesterday, looked at them and perhaps I will continue working on them this week--Yours are SO inspiring, Lizzy--like all your quilts--so creative and fun!!
I keep wondering whether to even continue quilting these days--s i g h...
I hope your weekend is a good one..
.hugs, Julierose
So glad you're safe.
ReplyDeleteThe zinnias and deck flowers are such an antidote to the stormy weather.
My daughters used to have fun playing carpet bowls with their great aunt. Yours look lovely together in their bowl.
I can't wait to see the K - Pop rockstar outfit. It'll be a winner. Pennyxx
Thanks Penny. The K Pop outfit is being difficult w the painful hand issue. I hope to finish the first outfit today tho.
DeleteI second Julie Rose’s comments on hurricane prep. Love your quilts especially the googly eyes. Laura
ReplyDeleteThanks so much Laura!
DeleteHi. I hope you don't think all 67 million-odd ( ?) Brits are like your UK blogger. There are always people who will criticize - usually those who don't know what they're talking about most of the time.
ReplyDeleteI love your quilts and photos. Anne. A Brit ... in France ;-)
Thanks for your kind support. That's a lot of people in a small island [pop of UK], isn't it. I'm so glad you enjoy visiting here at the beach.
Deletelove
lizzy
I am in the prep and be ready camp. And those geese on the border of your Jack quilt are perfect.
ReplyDeleteNOT planning ahead is just foolish, and can endanger others such first responders and rescue personnel. //Loved your poem ;last week, hope your late summer is great.
Deletelizzy
I'm so glad the storm missed you. Mother Nature can be quite scary sometimes. I love the stack of blue bowls. The Jacks are just scary enough to be sweet. So fun!
ReplyDeletei do love your jacks quilt...so fun and funky!
ReplyDeleteThanks! It was a fun project.
Delete