I wiped away the weeds & foam. / I fetched my sea-born treasures home... Ralph Waldo Emerson







Saturday, August 15, 2026

Finding Old Favorites

 


Hi! When the guy came to install my new microwave a few weeks ago, he had to remove all the stowed and stashed little items  that, over the years,  I have hidden in the narrow shelves above the stove vent. (Rookwood flower frog still missing though). He  put most things back but forgot the jars of marbles.
 

It was so fun to see them again, give them a gentle bath and dry.

There's three collections mixed here. Humble but so cherished, the sidewalk and backyard-found marbles. There's also three agates that belonged to my dad, from his dad, I think. [early 20th century/ real stone]. And the t Tiffany opalescent, found...?


In all my years of beachcombing I ve never found a real marble, just the odd white ceramic ball.  you see here, top right. These are a lifetime of finds.They partially fill a Smuckers jelly jar. 


Besides the found marbles, there are two chrome ball bearings, a very heavy lead musket ball, and this teeny tiny lead soldier. He is small, 1", but such a prize.


Then there's an odd unknown group mixed in. Large-ish cat's eyes, 1 1/4". They're beautiful. Origin unknown. Maybe from my brother to my son and I put them away for safety. I wish I knew. On bottom left in photo below. Some have nicks and dings, but all  are crystal clear and colorful.


Last is my collection of Cape Cod glass art glass marbles. These are slick, with colorful swirls, so pretty. For years every time I visited  Cape Cod  I bought a marble at the gallery in Orleans. My mom loved gallery browsing but never EVER bought anything; the salespeople's faces would drop and be so sad as they realised "just looking" was an art for mom. I got in the habit of buying a little something out of courtesy. Marbles were it. Back then I think they cost about $25-40.oo each. Remember they are handmade by real artists. They now sell on eBay for $100-200.oo. Too bad I didn't keep any records of who made what, cannot even recall name of our favorite shop.



Sometimes I'd go off plan and buy another small art glass item. This seashell paperweight has lived in my deck sewing box for oh so many years. At one time I had a blue scallop shell also but it disappeared.


These two are almost too big to be marbles. I remember loving the magical very "Lizzy" motifs. [but not the ''worms, lol.]

I'd bring the marbles home and stow them in a bowl


...to be handled and admired but this proved to be too enticing for grubby handed children who'd visit and want to play with them---I was shocked a few times to find them slipped into pockets to be taken home. The marbles were removed to a large pickle jar then later to the microwave shelves , too high for anyone including me to reach. 

Forgotten. More or less..

In recent years I  had the notion to drop one in the tide each walk ----what a treasure for a future person to find. But have since learned that so-called seeding, adding seaglass, is frowned upon.


More recent collection, yet oldest, clay marbles found at the flea, gift from my brother. Cool chewing tobacco jar from blog friend Mel.


Date Civil War through 1920s.

???? Would you sneak the marbles into the ocean, maybe to be found, maybe lost forever. I think this winter I will put at least one, in Mo's memory.

****************************

Coincidentally I pulled out this small beloved Beach Quilt the other day. [yes, longtime readers have seen it before] I was thinking about using the Freddy's Houses pattern for my someday Schoolhouse project [no]. I remember how I loved making this. No rules no shoulds no quilt police, just imagination and joy. Well-sewed too, on my old Brother machine from Costco. $99.99, a birthday gift from my parents who were sad my now ex husband didn't like me to sew or do crafts.


Note the back. Just as the Cape Cod marbles drew me in bec I ''saw" tiny beach balls and tropical worlds, this quilt's Beachballs backing is actually marbles.


Love it for its innocent charm, no rules.


Love the beading and Lily fabric that my mom brought me from Key West.


I sewed a lot better back then. My own machine quilting too.

.........................

I started sewing the binding on the Merry Christmas little quilt today---but  an oops with the binding, trimming bulky seam allowance. The feedsack backing is too thick and heavy.  I have a plan to patch, I  refuse to redo even tho it's intended to be a gift.



Nice weather. The sparrows like the mini Goldfish crackers I got them. Will mix
 w sunflowers seeds. The mini sunflowers are now blooming but very daisy-like. Not the Baby Bear shaggy cuties I expected.


Have great week!


love

lizzy

gone to the beach...

the other day: big dramatic yet tiny storm! Three minutes, lol. maybe a dozen raindrops.



note the skimmers fleeing the beach.











No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments, thanks so much. I love to hear from everyone.