I wiped away the weeds & foam. / I fetched my sea-born treasures home... Ralph Waldo Emerson







Friday, August 21, 2026

Quilt Finishes and Storm Prep

 


Hi! Another Friday as August wanes and drifts away. I had planned a shopping trip post for us today, but my friend canceled, so disappointed. We did have excitement  briefly last night as all the phones lit up with friends being sure I got the tornado warnings (no, not til hours later!). Much discussion back and forth about tornado prep and where is a safe spot. Tornadoes are very rare here but common where I grew up in the Midwest.

A blog I read, by a woman in the UK, was very scathing and judge-y about American storm prep, asif being organized is the same as being a mad MAGA apocalypse prepper, who is also possibly AI clickbait.[??????]. Little does she have any concept of how conditions can go bad very quickly here. And of course all the UK folks chimed in about ''crazy Americans''. I felt so bad--the times I have been in hurricanes are some of the darkest scariest memories I have. It was so hurtful to read. These fools couldn't understand that storm prep is a carefully thought out, wise move! Do they really want to be THAT PERSON who stands on their roof in a flood, waving frantically at the rescue helicopter? Not me, I'd rather make a list and prepare. above and below, last night, not here but not too far away/ pics from social media :

A waterspout that became a tornado as it came ashore.



The tornado missed The Beach here, but a reminder these dark clouds can cause destruction and even death. See that little protrusion on the left underside of the barrel cloud? That can become a tornado or water spout. This is looking out my windows.


I had medical appointments this week and kinda lost momentum on my deck quilting. Merry Christmas remains untouched. Noah's Ark binding is scheduled for the last weeks ahead of summer's end, as my hand slowly heals maybe.


Here is what I finished, bath, scrunch and all. Googly Eyed Jacks is done. 






I love this border. It's actually Wild Geese blocks.

Eyes, including button pupils on  Jacks--creating mischief and horroified stares, some faces. Sooo cute, right. The eyes are somewhat wonky; this is how the primitive style pumpkins were designed--and I love, though I do see a few threads etc to be clipped.

Spidey

Pinky


Bluey


Backing. Darling panel square, called Trick or Treat, which is the original name of this design by Cheri Payne [OOP or in her FB group files]



Wonderful Spiderweb quilting by Lori C.

I do hope it fits on my front door for Halloween.


***********************************

And Grey Baskets, aka February March, as the grey echoes my long grey  lonely winters. If you're a new reader or forgot, these are reclaimed antique blocks gifted from a friend. On point setting to hold a bowl or candle etc.




Winter Pansies backing.


I'm not loving these labels--too phony/ commercial, I'll prob return to no labels, my regular habit It is having a brief showing with the current subdued display in the bench corner.


The ''marbles" are Victorian carpet balls, plus a couple repros. An indoor game like bocce.

**********************

I'm also working on the first K-pop rockstar girl outfit. Out of my comfort zone, I hope it pleases.




You may recall I'm not good at project juggling. Too much happening = nothing happening. Maybe next week will be better?


PS Blog friend Penny found HER childhood collection of marbles. Shown in a beautiful Spode dish. Anyone else find theirs? Send me a pic:  lizzzz.d@gmail.com


Have a great week!


love

lizzy

gone to the beach...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments, thanks so much. I love to hear from everyone.