Hi, everyone! It's HOT, humid, sunny---we are at the height of summer now as September rolls in. If you're a pumpkin spicer who is putting up Fall, sorry, you're delusional. Fall won't come for two and half months, that's like from Christmas til Easter.Yeesh. [I did see an Easter post on Instagram today though. Crazy]
That said, in recent years I'm less a fan of September, much as I love and drag out the vibe of summer.. The heat and intense sun glare are nerve wracking. Where are those 40 mph cold winds when we need them?
It has been such an annoying week! My deck umbrella broke,
my Old Navy order--leg warmers! on sale. A winter necessity--has been lost. [EDIT: now found! Delivered by an anonymous kind neighbor. Great legwarmers and long sleeve tees if you're in need of either]
The Sketchers knock offs of the UGGs I wanted are truly horrible, as were the ''solids'' [batik hand dyes] from Hancock's mail order.
I don't really enjoy making the doll clothes, so its okay the child has moved on. Kids change so fast. Though at the moment I admit my feelings were very hurt. This was a hard outfit to create. You'll remember from previous posts.
Then! I saw this ''make 16 HSTs at a Time" [half square triangles] vid on Instagram, just had to try it. HERE I have a stack of beautiful 10" squares, a ''layer cake'' as they're called. Historic repro fabric by Pam Buda, gifted by my lovely quilter. I had the notion to make a cheddar and prints allover triangles quilt to show the fabrics off. A winter pick up project.
The reels go so fast. Of course the method was a Fail.
I don't know what else all--oh we got a letter from the Homeowners Association "Do Not Feed the Pigeons." I have never seen a pigeon here but don't consider them, or other birds ''vermin''. There are two very established mourning dove pairs that nest here--do these HOA dummies think the doves are pigeons? I am baffled, especially as doves are seed foragers, they do not take food from humans, and 2-they don't flock in huge numbers as described. They appear alone or in pairs. And have lived here since my kids were babies who were scared by the hoo-hoo, mournful moans in the spring.
........................
The good news is my sparrow couple now return each evening looking for crumbs! And even drink from the water dish I have given them. Surreptitiously of course. It makes me so happy to see them, Memories of days with Mo.....
The flower pots are doing well, they like the heat and sun if watered well.
I never see honeybees or bumblebees lately, just clouds of what I call sweat bees. Small ugly yellow? They sting! Are they pollinators?
And my question: I plant pollinator attracting flowers--but what are we pollinating? The nearest apple orchard is probably 75 miles away? Farms even further. What do these insects pollinate that we want to encourage? More study needed.
More pollinators: this has been a great summer for butterflies. So far I ve seen Monarchs, Yellow Sulfurs, White Cabbage, Admiral.The Admiral was esp fun to spy. I saw not the insect itself but its fluttery shadow in the stark sun and shadow on the deck. There's also lots of very big dragonflies; their migration begins now.
And on a walk the other day I saw either a hummingbird or a hummingbird moth in the lowest branches of the ugly locust tree. Again the frantic wing flapping caught my eye.
...................................................
This was such a surprise!
My amaryllis has bloomed! I set out three pots in May in a quiet corner. My intention was to feed the bulbs and have them regrow, replenish through leaf growth [damaged by bricklayers last summer]. Then hopefully they might might bloom next winter. I had NO idea they'd bloom in the summer. Only friends who live in the the southern hemisphere, like Penny and Dorothy, grow ammies that bloom outdoors in the summer like lilies.
I brought it in because of heavy rain which could destroy the delicate petals. I think it's Big Red, almost 9 years old now, though usually I plant Big Red in the round delft bowl. It's so pretty!'
Early evenings now bring flocks of Oystercatchers and cormorants. They are grouping and practicing for their migration journeys soon, in October. They circle over the shoreline as the beach becomes quiet at sunset.
.....
I finished sewing the binding of Noah's Ark, but forgot to take a picture before I dropped it off to be washed by my friend who has the big fancy washer/ dryer. I hope I can how you soon.
I might not have washed it, the appliques looked so crisp and cute, but I had used that unfortunate applique paper that didn't wash out with hand washing. I wanted to see what a machine wash did. IThe not-dissolving paper is disappointing so far.
Meanwhile most evenings I do a bit of work on Posies.
I still like it and feel it captures my garden's aura if not the reality.
I went to an end of summer bbq the other night. Oooooh delicious food and so fun. Sadly it was too hot and humid, over 90% , to sit out and enjoy the summer evening. These friends are moving soon, so it was an ending of sorts.
EDIt 2: Amazon promptly brought a new umbrella and my friend put it up!]
Anyway, that was my week. Sorry to be whiny. I blame my bad mood on the ceaselessly awful news we are flooded with. Constant dread, ''what will happen next?" I don t always succeed but I try to scroll past news--but what do you think, will my mail in voting ballot be counted in November? Your thoughts?
have a good holiday weekend!
love
lizzy
gone to the beach...

Good post and not whiny...real. Maybe my own low mood is because September forgot it was supposed to be the start of fall.
ReplyDeleteThanks! I think September is a time of change and makes many of us anxious.
DeleteI love hearing about your "end of summer, really!" feelings--as they seem to echo mine perfectly lately....
ReplyDeleteShame about the dolly clothes--but they fit so well and turned out so lovely...beautiful work on these--such delicate sewing...;))))
We have been watching lots of hummingbirds feeding in our dingle area off the deck--but as for usual species--not so many this year have visited us...maybe because we don't have our feeders out because of the bear warnings in our area...don't need that kind of an encounter!!
Can't wait to see how your Posies turn out--love the swallow border idea...
Hope your weekend is a good one ;)))
hugs, Julierose
Your hummingbirds sound amazing. How lovely that they visit you. Very rare here, just migration path visits.
DeleteThe doll clothes are a finished issue. Kds change fast, new interests come and go--that's a good thing! I'm over being sad about it, we will find something fun instead when I see her again, prob not til halloween ish anyay, if then. Who can imagine what 1st grade will bring!
I felt off kilter all week and figured it was the back to school vibe. My grandson is resisting leaving summer behind too. Think I need to get some orange flowers this weekend.
ReplyDeleteBack to school time dredges up a lot of ancient anxiety, at least for me.
DeleteTrader Joe's has beautiful potted ,large , very orange marigolds for early orange color instead of too soon, too hot for mums, if you're near a TJ.
DeleteWe all have those weeks where the one-thing-after-another gets us down. There's always next week/tomorrow for a better day. Those jeans are so cute, maybe there's a way to make them shorter enough that it looks intentional? (Pedal pushers/capri length?) Your HOA stories make me glad I don't have to deal with them, but a subdivision was built on the former farmland behind my home (the farmhouse) and they do. Hilarity ensues when they try to make US follow THEIR rules! (Why, yes, I can, in fact, have a bonfire in my backyard. I don't care that it touches your backyard. Yes, please do contact your HOA president. Thankyouverymuch.) Here's to hoping next week is better for you and the lost leg warmers show up before fall (and not just "pumpkin spice") arrives.
ReplyDeleteHi Katie! Yesy so true. And these were just little niggles, not any big upsets./ The jeans needed to be longer, very weighty denim for winter thru spring, bad weather etc. No way to lengthen. / The HOA here serves a useful purpose like snow removal, road repair, beach clean/groom/rake/ lifeguards for the beach etc. But now and then they get weird notions. I m still walking, looking for this imaginary flock of pigeons.
Delete"Sweet summer, forever in my heart"
ReplyDeleteIf I put up a comment when I post the week's story, Blogger then begins to show the new post. Hence my own comment s lately.
DeleteSorry your little friend didn't wasn't thrilled with the doll clothes. I think they're great, and I cane see how much work went into them.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your sympathy. Kids change so fast and she is just a very little girl. I have to be the grownup here. We'll have another fun project or adventure soon I know.
DeleteI like your idea of the sparrow border for your Posies quilt. We had a wild weather week at this end of the state that you might have heard. No damage here except a few branches down behind the barn. About half a mile from us there was an old beautiful maple tree that was split down the middle, likely a lightning strike. Auction today to raise funds for the camp, sadly the quilts did not sell for anything near what they are worth. Sign of the times I guess.
ReplyDeleteA few evenings ago I saw the tornado and storm warnings up near you and was worried, but thought it went thru just north of you. Do you have lots of big trees near your house?//That's so sad about the quilt auctions. I always sadly think we'd be better off donating the cash or sending fleece blankets..
DeleteI feel so badly that your little friend wasn't thrilled with the new outfit. 1st grade seems young to be giving up dolls. I think I was 10 or something (late bloomer here). I always used to dread September coming because of all the back to school activities and papers to sign and canning all the fruit and vegetables that my husband loves to grow. But, now I kind of savor it. The 100+ temperatures are gone for the year, the pace slows down, and with less mouths to feed around here so does the food processing. Although I was thrilled to do 28 qts. of peaches last week because I didn't think I get any (we had a late frost that killed all the blossoms around here). What a bonus to have your amaryllis bloom. It is beautiful. I like your bird applique. Birds are always a good choice to put on a quilt I think. Sorry the HST hack with your cheddar fabric didn't turn out, but at least you tried. That fabric that still looks wrinkled reminds me a fabric that I have that always looks wrinkled and so I never use it. It just sits in my stash waiting. I think I'm going to donate it to a thrift store. I think your ballot will be counted, he just thinks he can control things.
ReplyDeleteYour reply from me disappeared, I will try later
DeleteOk, sorry, second try. I'm over the doll clothes issue. This week is ''hem all her fall jeans''. LOL. //My parents did a lot of canning and pickling from their garden. Huge job, hottest days. My dad did all the pickles, sauerkraut, jars of peaches, pears, veg, fruit. My mom made jam and tomato sauce. They froze a lot too, never ever bought store produce except some lettuce mid winter. My dad was then quite miffed when they moved to Cape Cod full time, short growing season, poor old soil. Daddy switched to potatoes and onions , and he had his own cranberry bog and would jar up cr sauce.
DeleteMy wrinkly fabric is three times washed, still ugly. I think the wrinkles are printed on. Trash bin awaits, too bad. Seller ignored my complaints too.
Have a good weekend!
love
lizzy
I’m trying this as anon because of the problems I have with posting comments here. Its Sue from IL! You always have so many interesting things to impart. Every time I see your appliqué, the light bulb 💡 hangs over my head with the notion to start an appliqué project. Time will tell. Love ya
ReplyDeleteDearest Sue! Love hearing from you. Sorry about google/ posting--I m sure they wish we d all just go away. I love applique,, but there s lots of versions and methods. Start small, enjoy!
DeleteNo doldrums to be seen in your blog. Far from it! Oyster catchers, cormorants, amaryllis and zinnias see to that. Loving the posies and applique bird chorus.
ReplyDeleteI must say, I haven't had great success with disappearing applique backing. It was very underwhelming.
What a winner your fabulous red amaryllis is. They are real troopers, returning each year, to give joy. Pennyxx
Thanks, Penny! I do try to keep the blog upbeat and interesting. I think the doldrums are in me, still miss Mo so deeply. Interesting about the applique papers not working great for you too. Do you recall a brand? I'm interested to see what happens when Ark gets a big wash, won't be returned till next week or so.
DeleteThe amaryllis bloomed only briefly but so beautiful.
love
lizzy