I wiped away the weeds & foam. / I fetched my sea-born treasures home... Ralph Waldo Emerson







Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Nature Journals and Blues


 Hi everyone, posts are out of sync because I had a not-great IV session Monday, plus other stuff going on behind the pages here. I took some time recently to catch up on my perpetual Nature Journal [set of 2]---and finally came to the necessary conclusion that the tiny much loved books are FULL.  Done, complete. These books are only about the size of your hand. 4" x 5" maybe




As always I love words and quotes and these and other  thoughts were pasted in. 



Who knows if they will ever be found and mulled upon.


Space was so meagre I had been pasting in small scribble jottings because there was no space to do a real painting.


A few pressed petals and  sketches  crept in, done on a separate small watercolor pad and tucked in.The red poppies that appeared in the wildlife tub charmed me.


As did the annual giant dragonfly migration last week.

New technique seen on IG. No sketch.

A pressed weed or two. Papyrus vetch?


Some pretty notecards for ideas:

Fun and casual, sadly I am not a fine botanical artist just a lonely woman [covid times] who produces personal blips and blobs. Never will be good. The point was to see and record, to try.

So--the end. I do have a new, larger,  book to use, to begin again. I found nature's finds very sparse here. If I restart this exercise I'll also paint homely items, like, oh, a can of soup or a zucchini. A knitted hat with a pompom.? Right now I am ambivalent--I was dedicated to the accomplishment of the journalling goal, but doing something poorly for three years took its toll. Tomorrow is another day

.............................................

Books: while tidying the bookshelf that has really almost no books, I was attracted to this older Minick & Simpson Blue & White.

Such inspiring ideas, both for home decor and quilts.


love this shirting Star!

oooh, acorns.


I have this pattern, can't get enthusiastic about hundreds of pinwheels though. Or sunglasses.

Would love to do this border.

Remember Bitty!? Given away as a newborn gift quilt, never to be seen again. My thinking was a quilt entirely hand appli and hand quilted. I loved making it.

I got a kick out of this small interview w author Laurie S. She said the strict blue and white decor was from her sister, co-author Polly Minick's home design style--for herself, she actually loves orange. How wonderful, a woman after my own heart.



Saving a few weeds and seeds, wondering if, like Polly M,  I will leave the blues , or decorate or Fall. 


I ordered a bag of real gourds, white, dry and prim for the big bowl. And is a new rug a thing for my future. Baby Mo left his mark on the lovely blue rug I have, as he was old 
and so ill at the end of his life. Maybe dunes colors?

In quilting, a quandary. This?


or that?

This is approximately my blog's birthday! 17 years. It has been a constant joy to write. If Blogger glitches us out of blogging now I will miss it. Thank you all for being here. Say Hi, so I know you stopped by? [IG image]


Have a great mid-September!


love

lizzy

gone to the beach......








30 comments:

  1. Sunny days, ice cream nights, blast the Beach Boys and The Boss. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I didn't know about the dragonfly migration - your paintings of them are so evocative! We're about to head north for a couple weeks and I hoping to see migratory birds that we don't get here; now I'm thinking maybe there will be dragonflies too.

    Thanks as always for sharing your art.

    Ceci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You may see the dragonflies but they seem to swarm Aug 30- Sept 10 ish here, as they fly along the coast. I have that noted in my written nature diary that goes back many years,You can look online there are real time maps that show the migration of the birds and also butterflies and dragon flies. And google dragonfly migration if interested.I hope you trip up north is wonderful, great time to come. love, lizzy

      Delete
  3. I just love your Nature Journals!! The sketches and watercolors are so wonderful, Lizzy...what memories to look through and cherish...;)))
    I do remember Bitty--I never did get to make it...
    seemed really daunting in size to me...yours is so pretty...
    hugs for sharing it all with us...Julierose ;)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! btw That is the original Bitty by Laurie Simpson, in the book. I did try to make mine close to hers. I thought you made one too? It wasn t huge perfect for a newborn, maybe 24 x 30? / I ll have to look thru the journals before I put them away. I have a new pretty box for recent journals to fill.

      lizzy

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear you’re lonely. Is it ,old age ( me ) or is the world just flying past so fast. My DH is in care and the house is too big for one, so I’m on the move, retirement village here I come.
    Keep drawing and photographing I love all your pieces.A bigger book is a good idea.
    Loved making Bitty and I gave mine away too. Maybe we should both make another one. You could do an orange one and I would make a brown one. 😁
    If we lived closer I could give you my rug. It’s colourful. I have to downsize my things for the move but not my fabrics and quilts.
    Take care Lizzy and keep doing the things you love Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dorothy. Oh how I would treasure your rug. Downsizing must be so hard. I'm sorry your husband is in care and you are moving but no doubt it is the right plan.

      I think I d make Bitty 0.2 in naturalistic colors, like my zinnias' colors. Or reppro 1830s pastels? Yours in brown would be elegant and historic. How fun.
      Lonely--empty nest for awhile now, plus passing of Baby Mo [my pug if a newcomer reads this]. Mo meant the world to me, I miss him terribly every day. We were never apart really, 12 years; that little face always by my side. I loved him so.
      Take care and best wishes as you relocate. Pls keep in touch.

      love
      lizzy

      Delete
    2. Thanks Lizzy. Will keep in touch D.

      Delete
  5. Hi Lizzy, just wanted to let you know I really look forward to reading your blog every week. Your Nature Journals are wonderful. You are very artistic in your drawings and quilts. You inspire me….keep doing what you do and be happy. Take care…….Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thjanks so much. I m so happy you enjoy our visits.

      Delete
  6. I live in the city and love the beach. Your posts bring me there and I appreciate this so much. Thank you! When quilters write about creating even through struggles I find encouragement to keep going. Thank you! I can make hudreds of pinwheels but struggle with applique. I admire your work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for kind words and encouragement. Keep trying with applique. There's so many methods and , if you study beautiful old quilts, the applique need not be oh so perfect. It's so relaxing and enjoyable, to hand sew, just that small bit each day.

      Delete
  7. I just discovered your blog... you create such wonderful things. Your nature journal is delightful.
    Thank you for the "Blue & White" book. I really like the star. And also the little girl waiting for her friend with a bouquet of flowers in her hand...
    and your beautiful, colorful autumn flowers.
    Warm regards, Viola
    P.S. We have lots of dragonflies here :-)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Viola, welcome. I am so glad yo enjoy your visits here.
      Enjoy the migrating insects and birds, can I ask where you are that you're seeing many dragonflies? I think the have gone on here. lizzy
      The Blue & White book is by Laurie Simpson and she has an etsy shop with her quilt designs and sometimes her fabric. "Minick & Simpson" on etsy. Polly Minick has retired but Laurie maintains the shop. If you like to hook rugs she has many books, look on Thrift Used books.

      Delete
  8. I enjoy seeing your sketches and paintings. Who cares if they're not perfect - I don't!! Nature also doesn't have to be a plant. It could be a shell, a rock, a bug, an odd cloud, etc. Veggies or household items are fine too! Do what makes you happy!
    For quilting, maybe make your favorite block and put it on the front and arms of a sweatshirt to curl up in this winter? Something just a little different!
    I always love your blog, seeing a glimpse of your everyday makes me feel like I've visited you. Hopefully Blogger hangs in there for a while more.
    ~Melody

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel, I m always glad when we getto visit. All these years!
      I intend to start my new watercolor book, I ll get it ready for January.

      Patchwork on clothes! Sweet but my kids will disown me. Rem when they shamed me into throwing out the beautiful quilted jacket I made. I was so proud of it--and do admit I am sorry I let them spoil it for me. [my so said my deck garden flowers were too bright just the other day! He must have a different sort of vision. I do love my bright flowers...].

      Delete
  9. I have enjoyed your blog and journal as I am trying new things as well. I’ll never be great either but the fun is in trying new things at 70!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's great to try new things. There's so much to learn, to enjoy.

      Delete
  10. Interesting you should mention the migrating dragonflies. We had many flitting about this afternoon around dinnertime and that's quite unusual, so they must have been just stopping by for a snack before heading south. Our hummingbirds have already departed, missing them already! Trees just beginning to color, one or two by the creek already at peak. I love to see those sketches in your little journals. Doubt there is anything "perfect" in this present life/world! The amazing speed of technology developments has me flummoxed (sp), guess that's why my 1951 Singer machine remains a favorite - we understand each other. Wishing you many crisp and sunny warm autumn days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks so much. I hope your Fall is beautiful, warm days, crisp nights!

      The dragonflies were swarming again here yesterday, along w sneaky biting flies. But today is cool and drizzle-y, a hint of fall to come . Along w the first gale warnings of the season, 45 mph for up your way. Blow the flies away, I hope.
      love, lizzy

      Delete
  11. All of the blue and white inspires me. I have been saving ideas for a new quilt project but can’t seem to get started. Probably too many irons in the fire? Hope you are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The quilt quandary is why I keep posting ideas, I was so stuck and uninspired in January.
      i admire your more modern color palette always--a bit of blue could creep in?.

      Delete
  12. I enjoy your blog so much! Love your sense of the beauty in imperfection. Your notebooks are wonderful! The zinnias with the blue plate are breathtaking. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember Bitty! Just came across it recently. You have such a knack for bringing beauty and happy interjections on social media. There is something so satisfying about blue and white items. My favorite color is actually green, however, I also love the colors that match the seasons. If I really love an item that is for a particular season, I leave it up year round. Why not?!
    This is Sue 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sue---Which Sue? Thanks for kind comments. I agree about loving colors thru the seasons, tho my fall back blue hangs on. Did you make Bitty? It's very sweet and fantasy, not babyish, isn't it. love, lizzy

      Delete
  14. Love that book you shared, and the things in it too. Go get that beautiful rug and spoil yourself.

    As for your artwork - what a sense of accomplishment you must have to have reached the last page. Yes, why not a bit of everything in your next art journal? Especially as you have more room.

    I like the little quilt with the birds. That looks like your sort of thing. That oak leaf and animals/birds border is gorgeous too. Into a bigger quilt?

    Love your colourful flowers. My garden is a bit subdued now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just have to decide about the rug, lol. I want neutral but have had blue always in recent years. //I'm looking forward to the new journal, must find time to do the tedious job of numbering the weeks/ pages. If all goes well, weatherwise, my flowers can last til Christmas. But iffy now. My dad always had pink and purple heather, witch hazel, pink fairy roses blooming well into winter. He's send a big box of Christmas greens and include his flowers still in bloom. He had a much earlier spring than I do too, a microclimate on the Cape, even tho the family home was only maybe 1/4 mil from the ocean there. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  15. I love your blog, you make me smile and your art is lovely. Nature isn't perfect either. We lost our sweet Maya in June. She was with us on holidays and traveling well but had a stroke. I am still ..what, I am not sure what I am? I am taking one step at a time..you have encouraged me to get back to quilting. I have a project that has been waiting for me to finish it. It may or may not be large, I am undecided.
    Try not to let people undermine how you feel about clothing, quilts or anything. I bet your jacket was lovely.
    Happy Fall Solstice to you.

    Val in Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Val. I'm sorry for your loss of Maya, so sad. Good advice, I do let harsh words hurt me, discourage me. Making things, then no one to share with can be very lonely. The jacket was beautiful, I loved it, was so proud as I never sewed for myself since college years. I hope whatever project you choose is engrossing and brings you joy.

      Delete

Hi! Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments, thanks so much. I love to hear from everyone.