I wiped away the weeds & foam. / I fetched my sea-born treasures home... Ralph Waldo Emerson







Thursday, July 30, 2026

Happy Mail ~ Part Two Retail Therapy

 

But first--earlier this week I overcame my extreme white coat phobia [terrified of hospitals and doctors/ nurses; it causes panic and claustrophobia] and took my painful wrist/ arm/ hand to the local ER. It's what we have since the hospital on the same site washed away during H Sandy [2012]. It's a funny little concrete box, but clean and quiet, no wait. Staffed by generally kind young medical persons.


X-rays say wrist--tho swollen and deformed looking-- is not dislocated or broken. The tissue is inflamed, blah blah blah. The doctor didn't say not to use the hand, so I'm allocating 30-45 minutes of hand sewing each afternoon. IV autoimmune specialist is still AWOL, like most doctors in the late summer.

Now back to more fun subjects: fabric! and sewing plans. This is my ''bundle" from Two Thimbles

This past winter I got very shortsighted, finishing projects large and small, see previous post. I neglected to plan ahead and experienced a terrible funk. Omigosh, I have nothing to dooooooo. So planning, planning. Posies and Boardwalk are the biggies, both going well; notes taken all sorted. So I treated myself to this long yearned for fabric bundle.


Great merchandising. They post a fabric group on Fridays, mixing and matching--showcasing--their fabrics beautifully. I follow on IG. This is the recent arrival. The shop is really good about changing details if there's a fabric that doesn't fit your plan.


This is the bundle that inspired Posies and will also be this crib quilt someday. I make up little fabric ''kits' so I remember my plans now.


Got a bit stumped w the pattern piecing here, my sewing machine will chew those little pieces like last week's Sunday roast. [reading too many British cozy crime series. Rhys Dylan, Sharon Bolton, Faith Martin etc; the characters are  always are having midday roasts?]


The big chintz [Dutch Chintzes] on butternut and duck egg are so appealing yet challenging. NOT Lizzy colors at all.

They will be Tiny Baskets on dark grounds, I suppose color values will be an aspect to watch.


.I did pull out this adorable Basket ditsy/ conversational. Not sure where it will go, if at all.


And I added some pale aqua, ''duck egg blues" from ,my stash. Hard to photograph but lovely, much treasured prints.


and added this Tall Ships shirting just to collect.

The rich Butternut and Duck Egg w dark Taupe colors for the inspiration group  would actually make a beautiful late fall full sized quilt but I'm pretty sure it will be a little quilt. As Penny noted, how I love using the little ''placemat'' quilts, tucked under bowls or behind crocks etc.


TT also tucked in this wonderful blue print swatch. Blue Schoolhouses by Paula Barnes. I'm thinking large scale Schoolhouse blocks? So wonderful.


Though truth is I have never successfully pieced a SH block, lol. 

And I wouldn't want the Houses spaced so far. I put the Pineapple throw on my bed this week, easier to make the bed w poorly hand as it's just a throw, but much as I love it I think there's way too much white space, it's a tad yawn.


Have a good weekend! It will be August, the light is changing. I saw dragonflies and a monarch buterfly this week. Beautiful creatures but harbingers of summer's moving on.


love

lizzy

gone to the beach......












***TWO THIMBLES QUILT SHOP

18 comments:

  1. Hello, hello! It's almost August. Leave a note an say hi? [testing]

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always lovely to have new fabrics, and if you have been lusting after these for a while, even better! I look forward to seeing how they look made up into those tiny baskets.

    Do you use a little "feeder strip" when sewing small pieces? Kate at thelasthomelyhouse does and you just snip it off when you have been fed onto your sewing proper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I love her YouTube vids. Must rem to watch more often.
      I don't usually use the feeder strips as this machine chews the feeder up too and snarls at the connecting point. I get too annoyed, but should try again, thanks.

      Delete
  3. https://thelasthomelyhouse.co.uk/ If you haven't already, check out her videos. It's like having a quilting friend over for the afternoon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh what lovely fabrics, Lizzy--I think they will look so beautiful in baskets--good eye;)))
    I love your little blue crockery vase--so vintage and lovely with those blooming impatiens.
    I am still a bit under the weather here; Summer colds just seems to hang on...;(((
    So nice to see sunshine this morning...it's been so gloomy and gray this past week...
    I hope your hand is healing and you are feeling better--retail therapy, as always, really helps a lot hahaha
    Hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie! The little ceramic face planter is just from Amazon, maybe 20.oo or less. I love it. It also comes in other glazes, the creamy white is very cute. Def a planter not a vase, bottom is open.
      Hope you feel better soon, poor you, you need a health break. My hand is same, the prednisone'' burst'' is two weeks, then perhaps will see the reg doctor. Not much they can do tho, they can't fix painful hands as you well know.
      love

      lizzy

      Delete
  5. Pretty flowers on your deck table, and beautiful fabrics! I will enjoy watching your projects progress, it's always fun for me! How is Posy going? I hope your wrist gets better. Maybe ice it several times a day? I wonder what caused it to become inflamed? If you search online, I think there are lists of foods & drinks that help combat inflation... might be worth a look. Can't hurt to look. Might not help a lot. I've had pretty good luck with epsom salt soaks. My sister went through a period of time where she took epsom salt baths every night to help her hips and legs - and it also helped her sleep as you can absorb magnesium through the skin! In any case, I hope it improves soon so you can enjoy more 'play' time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mel! Posies is going great, only three more sparrows to hand sew then rest is machine applique. It's bright and happy I think. Machine sewing is not good w the painful hand tho, picture how left hand feeds the fabric to the needle plate...

      I do ice the hand. Other remedies too.

      Sent you an email....

      Delete
  6. That "not Lizzy's colors" fabric bundle is so gorgeous! Looks like autumn around here, the fabric - not the weather LOL. DH has been seriously under the weather of late, accounting for my lack of commenting/posting. I so look forward to your posts and hope your inflamed hand/wrist is soon back to normal. As for sewing machine chewing up small pieces, I always have to start/end sewing on my vintage Singer 201 with a small scrap or "extra" block to keep the thread from misbehaving because once it gets pulled down into the bobbin area it's going to require a trip to the local sewing center (25 miles) to be adjusted. Don't know what we all will do when those two 80+ year old guys finally retire - they love to work on the vintage machines even while trying to sell you something brand new!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That "not Lizzy's colors" fabric bundle is so gorgeous! Looks like autumn around here, the fabric - not the weather LOL. DH has been seriously under the weather of late, accounting for my lack of commenting/posting. I so look forward to your posts and hope your inflamed hand/wrist is soon back to normal. As for sewing machine chewing up small pieces, I always have to start/end sewing on my vintage Singer 201 with a small scrap or "extra" block to keep the thread from misbehaving because once it gets pulled down into the bobbin area it's going to require a trip to the local sewing center (25 miles) to be adjusted. Don't know what we all will do when those two 80+ year old guys finally retire - they love to work on the vintage machines even while trying to sell you something brand new!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those colors are not ones I would think to reach for but seeing them all together really makes me think HHHMMMMMMM. Thinking is about all I am doing sewing wise lately; I have a non-enjoyable project that I MUST finish and can't seem to pick up and work on so all is frustration. You can imagine!

    Ceci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sophisticated Fall palette and scale variations caught my fancy! That's the fun of tiny quilts, besides ''cute''--a way to try new interesting ideas on a small scale/
      'I empathize w your must do project, I always dislike projects like that. [I m still waffling about a K-Pop rock star doll outfit, eeew.]

      Delete
  9. So many fun projects on the go. Please look after yourself. I sympathize with the wrist situation - irritating, but the body reminds me that I'm not 18 anymore!! Hahahaha.
    I enjoy the pineapple quilt, can imagine another of your blue and white quilts on the wall behind the bed. A sort of gallery which could change with your decorating. Do not attempt on your own!!
    Sunday roasts call back the past, fondly. My job was to make the mint sauce. I'm deserting Agatha Christie for Ngaio Marsh at the moment. An escape to a different age.
    Pennyxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Penny! Yes I always wanted a quilt behind the bed head, but the ceilings aren t very high, room is smallish. Plus I am always afraid ''something' [bug? mouse"?] will climb on it and fall on me. Plus dire sunfade issue.

      My aunt made mint sauce to go w the Easter lamb roast. LOL. My brother and I were horrified, eeeew.
      I have never read Ngaio Marsh. Maybe s winter reading project. My mom had many of the books in her colletion of vintage crime/ mysteries, but as a preteen needing books to read I went for Rumer Godden and I think Mitford social commentary novels. And...Capote, Salinger. I think she collected for the dust cover graphics but also read them, made for an eclectic book selection. Im sure I really didn't understand the books at age 8 or 10, but was happy to have books to read.

      Delete
  10. Lovely lovely fabric. Such "scope for the imagination". I hope that sewing for only a short time will be satisfying and not bother your hand. You can just sit there yearning for stitching for so long. . . and then you need to act. I think the pineapple quilt looks so soothing - the white is so mind clearing - a meditation piece. I still love your tiki planter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks about the pineapple quilt. I esp like it as a throw tho.

      My hand is better, not healed but less painful. I sewed the binding on the Googly-eyed Jacks in just two days. Yay. Hopeful.

      Delete
  11. I just went to look at that shop and they do have some lovely fabrics. I am in limbo right now with an idea brewing but not the creative energy to pursue it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone seems low energy, summer dog days, l'ennui d'ete, etc. It will come to you. I love watching your ideas evolve.

      Delete

Hi! Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments, thanks so much. I love to hear from everyone.